Monday, June 21, 2010

Katy does it again!

Posted by Avram Freedberg

What a weekend! It was the anniversary of my grandmother’s passing, Father’s Day and the 50th anniversary of my Bar Mitzvah and much more. So, we had a big extended family Shabbat dinner on Friday night. I performed in the synagogue Saturday morning. We had a luncheon after services. Then, we headed for New York City to meet friends from North Carolina and Virginia. I took the IPAD with me because I was hoping to get to watch Katy’s race from Belmont. Lo and behold, it worked!

As we got out of the car, I pushed a few buttons and the post parade was visible as we were walking on 40th street. We found our friends and a local bar. It was so close to post time, I put the IPAD on a table and sat down to watch the race. The gate opened and Katy was in the middle of the pack but she easily worked her way backwards to last! It looked to me like she was intimidated by the horses around her. Ramon Dominguez tried to move her up but she seemed to resist.

By the time they came around the stretch turn she was still in the back of the pack. Ramon steered her to a hole between horses but another horse cut in front of them. Finally, he ducked in behind that horse and found daylight. He tapped Katy and she got into gear. As she passed horses, we started screaming, “Go, Katy!” “Go Katy!” And she did go… up to 5th to 4th to 3rd to 2nd. Then, she ran out of stretch and she finished 2nd, one length behind the winner, Maya Charlie. It’s hard to watch her so far back but she sure makes it exciting.

After dinner and Broadway’s Million Dollar Quartet, I had a few hours shut-eye and a few hours of golf this morning. Then we met my brother and family at my parents’ home for Father’s Day. I collapsed this evening.

Lots more racing will be coming over the next few weeks and even more next month when Saratoga opens. The excitement is building. We’ve been very lucky with 2 wins, 2 seconds and a third in the last five races. Lots of action.

BTW, for those who want to know how Patsy is doing with her new trainer, Meriwether Jessica won her race as the longest shot in the race and Gitchee Goomie was 2nd today. Congrats to Patsy and her new trainer, Rick Violette!

Best to all,
A.

Visit the Official Avram Freedberg website!

No comments: