Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Apology

My apology

Several years ago, I sent a bulk e-mail request for forgiveness. One friend wrote back to say that she was offended by this impersonal approach. However, it is clear to me that such a message is far better than only asking some people for forgiveness because I probably left out many people that I had offended but had not realized that I did so.

For example, earlier this year I reached out to a couple I had not heard from for a while. I found out they were very angry at me but I had no idea I had offended them. My point is only that sometimes we know not what we say. Certainly, that is true for me. So, I think a general apology in which I solicit a response seems like a reasonable way to start.

Please let me know if I offended you. In return, you will receive a personal, heart-felt apology. My hope is there will come a time with mostly positive reactions and fewer negative ones.

Please know that the person I strive to be would never purposefully offend you. Yet that person is still an idealized image. I am usually aware of my shortcomings and I’ll keep striving to do better. Please let me know if I’m not succeeding. I’m lucky that my family does try to do that. I hope they feel appreciated for doing so and that their honesty is rewarded with better reactions and more love from me. God knows they – and YOU – deserve it!

May you be inscribed and sealed in the Book of Life with good health, happiness and success in your endeavors. Hugs and kisses to all.

Sincerely,

A.

No comments: