Saturday, October 11, 2008

Sweating it out

Posted by Avram Freedberg

Thursday was very nice because I felt insulated in synagogue all day, thanks to the Yom Kippur holiday. My dad, who has become very frail, made it to the service for a while and I got to give him my honor at the Torah. He spent about half an hour in synagogue. It was the first time in about 20 years that he wasn’t seated next to me for Kol Nidre, the night before, or for the balance of the services on Yom Kippur day. I felt alone. At least I wasn’t privy to the economic happenings on Wall Street.

Unfortunately, many people leave mid-day and return after the markets close. Their news brought me out of my cocoon fast enough. The worry and the stomach muscle tightening set in… it wasn’t just fasting. Our economic blues cast a pall on everything.

Nonetheless, I am happy to report that Ahvee’s Destiny will be racing at the Meadowlands on Monday afternoon. She was going to run in a stakes race called the Witches Brew on Halloween. The race track has scheduled Monday’s race as a prep for the Witches Brew. Since turf racing is so contingent on the weather (wet grass usually means running on the dirt), we’re going for it… 5 furlongs on the grass with post time at 3:33 PM.

I always wanted the race track venture to succeed. However, I never thought of it as the main source of income. Hopefully, even with success, that won’t be the case, unless one of them turns into Big Brown or Curlin.

Ofcr. Sheila T Rex will run 5 ½ furlongs on the dirt at Finger Lakes on Tuesday, race #6 with a claiming tag of $12,500. Believe it or not, she will not be the favorite, even at this low level. Post time is 3:25.

May we all be blessed with peace and stability in this very uncertain climate… and lots of winners!

Visit the Official Avram Freedberg website!

No comments: